Single Malt Review #1: Cardhu 12
Welcome to our first Scotch review! For this first entry (hopefully of many) in our series, we've picked Cardhu 12 year old single malt Scotch. We purchased a 750 mL bottle a while back and decided we needed to go ahead and officially review this one before we run out. Here's the rundown:
Region: Speyside
Distillery: Cardhu
Style: single malt Scotch
Age: 12 years
ABV: 40%

The first thing that hits me is pineapple Lifesavers. There's also a brief hint of citrus, maybe grapefruit. The nose is rounded out by a strong honey-like smell and a soft creaminess.
Taste:
The honey really comes through, and there's also some warm apple juice. Previously the pineapple from the nose has been the predominant taste, but I'm not getting it tonight. A few drops of water add a buttery roundness.
Finish:
The finish is flat and long. There's a bitter, papery flavor with a hint of warm spices. A little water rounds out the finish and brings a little bit of the honey back in.
Verdict:
I like it. There are certainly far better and far worse whiskies out there, but if you can get it for about $40 or less, Cardhu 12 is worth a try. It's not going to be my go-to Scotch in the sub-$50 range, but I've enjoyed this bottle. The pineapple flavor is something I haven't noticed in a whisky before, and it's very enjoyable.
Citrus, a field in spring, milk chocolate
Taste:
Pineapple, Scotch, spice cake, honey
Finish:
Spiced cider, warm, gummy candies
Bottle Design:
6.5/10
Verdict:
A solid "B," 85 out of 100 seems too high, but 70 is too low.
Region: Speyside
Distillery: Cardhu
Style: single malt Scotch
Age: 12 years
ABV: 40%

Steven's notes:
Nose:The first thing that hits me is pineapple Lifesavers. There's also a brief hint of citrus, maybe grapefruit. The nose is rounded out by a strong honey-like smell and a soft creaminess.
Taste:
The honey really comes through, and there's also some warm apple juice. Previously the pineapple from the nose has been the predominant taste, but I'm not getting it tonight. A few drops of water add a buttery roundness.
Finish:
The finish is flat and long. There's a bitter, papery flavor with a hint of warm spices. A little water rounds out the finish and brings a little bit of the honey back in.
Verdict:
I like it. There are certainly far better and far worse whiskies out there, but if you can get it for about $40 or less, Cardhu 12 is worth a try. It's not going to be my go-to Scotch in the sub-$50 range, but I've enjoyed this bottle. The pineapple flavor is something I haven't noticed in a whisky before, and it's very enjoyable.
Rebecca's notes:
Nose:Citrus, a field in spring, milk chocolate
Taste:
Pineapple, Scotch, spice cake, honey
Finish:
Spiced cider, warm, gummy candies
Bottle Design:
6.5/10
Verdict:
A solid "B," 85 out of 100 seems too high, but 70 is too low.
Comments
Post a Comment
Hi! This is a family friendly blog. Let's keep the comments that way, too, OK?
Slainte!
-- Steven and Rebecca